How To Do The Abdominal Plank
Abdominal planks fit easily into my top 10 core exercises. Here’s why:
- Great early progression
- Requires full trunk stabilization
- No “moving parts” to screw up
- Can be progressed with external loading
Note: Let’s not confuse the abdominal plank with “planking.” Planking is the spectacle of acting like a jackass and laying across something, taking a photo of it, and giggling about it online like a school girl that just caught the eye of a boy she likes.
Unlike planking, abdominal planks actually add some value to society.
Common Plank Mistakes:
- Low back sagging! Number 1 by far. People yell “put your butt down” which usually transfers to lowering the hips and putting tons of tension on the low back.
- Looking like a pyramid instead of a plank.
- No glute activation
- Low back saggin! Again.
Abdominal Plank Form and Fixes